Jan

Hetalia Axis Powers: Episode 1

Not having read the manga, I came to the conclusion that Hetalia could’ve been one of two things. It could’ve been sheer fangirl pandering or it could be a brilliant piece of satirical historical wit. Me being a bit of a history buff and someone who inherently loves any joke that is slightly dodgy and thought Ouran was a load of rubbish, you can guess what I was hoping Hetalia would be like.

vlcsnap-2074

This would've been me if Hetalia turned out like another Ouran

But I guess my karma has changed and Hetalia is glorious. Well, except for 2 aspects. It’s only 5 minutes per bloody episode and a minute of that is taken up by the ending song! The other problem is the Koreans. Thanks to them being miffed that their country is made fun of in Hetalia (nobody asked Italy or France what they thought of how their countries were portrayed) Hetalia was not allowed to be aired on TV. So instead it’s only available as phone downloads which, for us westerners, means that the quality is awful as you can see from the screencaps.

vlcsnap-1113

Yes America. This is you

But I’ve was at a bit of a loss at what to blog recently. Michiko to Hatchin hasn’t had any subs in god knows how long and wasn’t actually very good anyway. Then Hetalia raised it’s bishie, slightly racist head and, in only 5 minutes, shot up to easily my favorite of the season. So Michiko to Hatchin gets dumped and in strolls a bunch of personified nations bickering over global warming in a way only countries really can, which is go completely off topic and argue for the sake of arguing, such as France disagreeing with Britain since that’s what France always does. And then, of course, we got the star of the show…

This man personifies all 58,145,320 citizens of Italy (yes, I googled in order to check)

This man personifies all 58,145,320 citizens of Italy (yes, I googled that)

Course I have no idea exactly how you blog something like Hetalia. But hey, we live and learn! I never knew Switzerland hated Japan expressing his own opinion (someone help me out with the historical facts behind that one?) and I never knew Germany defeated the nation descended from the great Roman Empire armed with only a stick (that was a real LOL moment). But best of all was the slightly dodgy joke that would have the Koreans in uproar: Russia and Lithuania

I want to see a confused and troubled Lithuania come crying to me...LOLOLOLOL

I want to see a confused and troubled Lithuania come crying to me...LOLOLOLOL

So I really do recommend watching this, even if it’s just to spite the Koreans. Besides, the last episode ended on a cliffhanger. Aren’t you just dying to see what that box of tomatoes are for?

18 Responses to “Hetalia Axis Powers: Episode 1”

1. 1 Denys Fantasma Almeida
    31 January 2009 at 12:01 pm

I’ve heard about this troubles with the Koreans, bizarre. I’ll try watching this anime, seems to be cool!

2. 2 sydney
    2 February 2009 at 1:37 pm

wow could you tone down the rudeness? seriously. the koreans have reasons and bad history with japan.
    im disappointed with the lack of tv broadcast (and korea in the comic is one of my favorites anyway.. but i guess he wouldnt be in the anime either way). im korean, i know what the koreans are mad about, i dont really agree too much. whatever.

3. 3 February 2009 at 1:35 am

@sydney

I live in Ireland and we have a horrible history with england, one that only recently has stopped causing riots in the north and all that. Yet every week there seems to be something on tv satirising the whole thing. I’ve never liked the whole political corectness world that has emerged nowadays

Course I know that it’s only a handful of Koreans and I’m not going to judge an entire country on that matter. Besides, it didn’t seem all that contreversial but then again I haven’t read the manga

4. 4 foodbender
    5 February 2009 at 3:07 pm

The world is filled with controversy. But it’s anime like this that sometimes reminds us to take things with a grain of salt, so to speak (or in other words: lighten up). Everyone is entitled to think and feel what they want.

I think Hetalia is great.

5. 5 arthur kirkland xD
    18 February 2009 at 8:11 am

AAAAAAUUUUUGH! nuuuuuuuuuu!!
    come on, freakin /every/ country gets made fun of in this
    and while im totally /not/ saying korea has no basis for their criticisms, it’s a freakin comic, and one of the great things about it is it brings people of all countries together with comedy(okay, i made that last part up, but ppl from all over /do/ read this, and it /does/ help connect us with each other)

alls im sayin is, why cant they just ban it in Korea????

6. 6 Ramtha
    19 February 2009 at 3:19 pm

hmm… Well, maybe if those Koreans would just go back to playing Starcraft, they wouldn’t care so effing much.

7. 7 hyogalover
    17 March 2009 at 8:29 am

Koreans are really hateful. I don’t understand why they are mad. this anime was made so it could bring world peace. I read that Koreans also got mad at Hikaru no Go. -_-
    Not even Italians are mad at the great joke they made out of them. Is not like they made the fucking anime and manga to make fun of Koreans. the anime is called HETALIA!! not HETAREANS >.<
    btw I love Russia san!!!! he’s funny!!!!
    VODKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

• 8 wolfy
      21 March 2010 at 10:35 pm

wow aren’t we nice? I’m korean, i think hetalia is great and i like Hikaru no Go (whatever you read that said koreans got mad at Hikaru no Go is bias). So, some people got mad (we have a bad history with a lot of countries, mostly Japan, but i love Japan, that’s where i was born), but there’s no need to diss every korean and the country itself. i quote “If you don’t have anything nice to say, shut you mouth before someone does it for you.”
      Russia is funny

8. 26 April 2009 at 10:31 pm

HAHAHA, Italy was so random. Nice show man, luckily, I had studied History before so I kinda get why each country behaves the way they are.

As for switzerland and japan, I believe it probably referring to more recent events so we need a very updated political student here =/

aw crap, I need to go back and study Materials engineering. jeez. 4 more days to F.R.E.E.D.O.M.

9. 10 Natasha
    21 May 2009 at 10:21 am

Would people leave off the hateful racism towards Koreans? Sure, some people in Korea found it offensive and, as would ANYBODY else, created an outcry. That does not make them bad people.
    It’s not about being politically correct, it’s about not being offensive to people when you KNOW it’s being rude (such as suggesting Koreans are only good for gaming). I love Hetalia, personally, but if some people don’t like it, I’m not going to start bashing them.

Why can we just get ALONG? :/

10. 11 Anonymous
    25 May 2009 at 7:21 am

Mmm, as far as I understand, Switzerland was angry that Japan couldn’t voice his own opinion. :/

11. 12 anonymous
    7 August 2009 at 5:36 am

“So I really do recommend watching this, even if it’s just to spite the Koreans.” yeah, uhh, shut up.

stop piling all the koreans into one group you guys. just because some koreans got angry doesn’t mean every korean did. koreans aren’t “really hateful.”

they are other people in other countries that are just as hateful as any other person. geez, a couple of you people make it sound as if koreans are the only people that hate or get offended. :/ very logical of you.

12. 13 Exe
    17 August 2009 at 8:44 am

this series is complete shit, why would anyone watch/read this utter tripe?

13. 14 ezzy
    7 September 2009 at 9:23 am

Well I love Hetalia..and I think it should be televised regardless of what few koreans think.. I have nothin against koreans at all…

but from a general perspective…one country banning something from airing in tv broadcast worldwide just doesn’t sit right with me. Ok they got made fun of by a japanese-american comic. Whoopdy frickin doo… Seriously, the way Korea is portrayed in the manga is not as bad as the other countries. But you don’t hear Italy, Russia or even France complaining about the far worse portrayals of their characters.

I just think that it should have only been banned in Korea and thats it. There is no reason to ban it from the world…Does Korea suddenly think it can deny other countries right to televised freedom of speech?

Whoever doesn’t that this freedom..fine..ban the thing if you want to..but don’t ban it for those countries who do have that freedom.

I understand Korea has been through alot with Japan and so forth..but for Christ sake… its a friggin anime… what good does it do if you ban if from TV broadcast… its still being broadcast by other means and did i mention its JUST ANIME!

*sigh* you know.. i am an italian…i am embarrassed by Italy’s character…BUT… its very funny..and in some cases its historically true! So instead of bitching about how Italy is portrayed badly…I am just going to take that grain of salt and enjoy the comedy..and realize that there is some truth to how the italians were. By doing so, maybe italians now will start building a strong army little by little? …who knows…

satire is meant to poke fun at our policial affairs…so why the hell not?

14. 15 Hannah
    18 September 2009 at 5:36 am

I agree with Ezzy, I mean in Hetalia EVERYONE is being made fun of. I’m American and I totally laughed at the over-the-top “hero” America. Because it’s true. We (as a country) generally are pretty much like that. Obviously, it’s been exaggerated, but that’s what makes it funny. I’m also ethnically Belgian and Italian (dual-citizenship with Belgium) but, obviously, I can take a joke.

I mean I understand why some Koreans may be miffed, but if they don’t like it, then don’t show it in Korea. Another country should not be allowed to tell a different country what they can or can’t watch. I don’t even understand how you could do that.

On a less serious note (this is Hetalia after all lol), love Russia and his creeper ways.

15. 16 Anonymous
    20 September 2009 at 2:15 am

Well, the entire anime is supposed to make fun of people. *shrug* I don’t see why anyone cares all that much about how Hetalia portrays their country. It’s just like China banning the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I mean, look at the way Italy is portrayed- sure, some people don’t like it, but Italy didn’t try to ban it.

/rant.

Y’know, I never really got how Russia is always portrayed with sunflowers and a BLOODY PIPE, for crying out loud. ^^

16. 17 Soka
    8 December 2009 at 2:58 pm

I love this series. And I just wanted to say that, not only does it poke fun at EVERYONE, which is preciselly what makes it awesomeXD, it also makes everyone cute and nice, which is why we forgive goodnaturedly the firstXD.
    Also, while Korea, France and Russia and Poland (and Canada and Lithuania?) are probably more controversial than others, I have to say that Italy is probably the one being bashed the most, and this series is surprisingly popular in the Italian animanga fandomXD. That’s why Italians are awesome and Koreans could use some of their relaxedness and good-humour

17. 18 Nick