Aug

Twitter is like Princess Tutu

They have loads of people proclaiming how glorious it is, yet I just don’t understand what anyone sees in them.

Twitter picture

But like Princess Tutu, I’ve decided to give it a shot to see what all the fuss is about. I’ve set up an account here so if you want to listen to me ramble on pointlessly in 140 characters then you can follow my feed. And if I, for some reason, wanted to read you warble on needlessly in 3 lines of text then I could follow your feed. However the whole thing seems very dull, much like Princess Tutu, and chances are I’ll get bored pretty quickly. Like Princess Tutu.

Yeah, I’ve turned this into a Princess Tutu bash. Seriously, for all the fuss over that anime, it was really bad. The people in it were boring and had nothing new or original to say. Much like Twitter actually.

10 Responses to “Twitter is like Princess Tutu”

1. 20 August 2009 at 6:23 pm

I guess that is because you never really follow the aniblogosphere where Twitter is at. For people to use Twitter a lot is not just about the updates, but also chatting with others and posting short stuff that do not deserve a post. Lots of the aniblogosphere do this on Twitter, having entire freaking chats on Twitter.

2. 20 August 2009 at 9:21 pm

So pretty much agree with the post by explaining how pointless twitter is.

3. 3 kaei
    21 August 2009 at 12:04 am

Darn, and here I thought someone had something nice to say about Princess Tutu. It’s so rare to find people who actually watched it and less who appreciate it. You’re an idiot.

4. 21 August 2009 at 12:12 am

@kaei

You’re having trouble finding people who liked Tutu? I could lend you some of the ones I keep finding. In return would you like to lend me some people who like Hare Guu? I can’t find any myself

5. 5 kadian1364
    21 August 2009 at 3:25 am

If I were to pin down what I like about Princess Tutu, I wouldn’t start with characters or plot. Truthfully, at face value the whole story is simple and the characters are basic in their functions. But the point is not to take things at face value. Princess Tutu is a righteous subversion of the magical girl genre, while also paying homage to many classic fairytale legends and plays, right down to using the iconic music. To appreciate Princess Tutu is to love its lyrical style and embrace all its symbolic flourishes. During it’s airing, Tutu rightfully brought comparisons to Utena, although Utena is all of the abstractness and thematic indirection of Tutu to the 10th power. Utena >>>> Tutu in that regard.

Hare and Guu is a pretty decent gag comedy show. It all depends on how much of wild overreactions and screaming people you love/can take. An all comedy show is tougher to watch the longer it gets simply because they start to run out of jokes. Even Excel Saga had a few stinkers in its run.

Oh yeah, Twitter? I just jumped in because I saw all my favorite bloggers on it. It’s more like instant gut reactions and quick quips back and forth, more than formal writing/posting/thoughtful presentation.

6. 21 August 2009 at 3:44 am

@kadian1364

I must have missed the ‘subversion of the magical girl genre’ part. It wasn’t like I was dismissive of Tutu, oh god no. I had heard so many great things about it and I was actually pumped about watching it. All I saw was a poor magical girl anime, a genre I’m not a fan of anyway.If there was abstract-ness in it, it was too well concealed for me to see. I’m downloading Utena at the moment but I have to finish Monster then watch Galactic Heroes before Utena so it’s going to be a very long time before I watch that.

I guess I just have a craving for random comedy and Hare Guu was the best I’d ever seen. To give you an example, two of my other favourite anime are Cromartie High School and Seto no Hanayome.Excel though had too many episodes consisting of one single long-running joke that wasn’t funny so I never got into it.

We’ll see about Twitter. Since I’m new I’m not sure how to conduct myself on the site yet.

7. 7 kadian1364
    21 August 2009 at 12:51 pm

Tutu is an honest magical girl anime at the same time its subversive of its genre, like how Gurren Lagann is both an homage and parody of old super giant robot shows. Acceptance of the tropes and conventions typical of their genre lend to the enjoyment of their eventual twists (in Tutu) or exaggerations (in GL), if that makes sense.

Monster and LotGH are straight-forward, but really good IMO. Utena’s a harder nut to crack. Even a well read guy like OneGreatTurtle (http://animegeijitsu.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/revolutionary-girl-utena-the-four-wheel-drive-of-the-apocalypse/) took three times to satisfactorily grasp its meanings. I was fortunate in finding such sources of intelligent discussion and interpretation after my first time through. However, I’m still quite at a loss about the Utena movie even 3 watches. Take that as you may.

8. 21 August 2009 at 3:56 pm

@kadian1364

Gurren Lagann was actually my first mecha anime so I can say with full authority that you don’t need to know any of the mecha tropes to fully enjoy that anime. I guess you have to like magical girl to like Tutu.

Utena…that’s going to be an interesting experience to finally watch

9. 23 August 2009 at 1:45 am

Agree. Many treat Twitter as a form of chat, including myself. @Scamp, you making this Twitter account as anime tweets, is it? If so, I’ll be glad to tag along. I’m more frequent tweeting and obviously, hardly blog these days.

10. 23 August 2009 at 2:44 am

@Brian

Yup, I’ll be sticking to anime tweets. ‘Scamp’ is my anime persona and only anime gets discussed by Scamp…and maybe Arsenal.

I must admit I’m starting to see the appeal of twitter now. Same can’t be said of Princess Tutu though