Dec

Top Five Flops of 2009

Yes, the topic nobody wants to talk about, nor wants to give credits too.  People are going to bash on this a lot, and I’m expecting that when I call the show(s) they watch flops of this year.  Basically, the criteria is that the show is expected to be decently good, but ends up sucking balls.  Yes, that’s basically it. Oh, and before I begin, you WANT to be ranked lower on this one (basically, first place is the biggest flop of 2009).

Fifth place: Shin Koihime Musou
File:Koihime Musō game cover.jpg

If you didn’t already know, Shin Koihime Musou is the second season to Koihime Musou, and personally, I don’t even have the strangest ideas why it got the green light – I played the game itself, and it’s low on content and plot *cough cough*, I thought the anime could possibly make up for the lame-ness but nooooooooooooooooo, it sucked.  If you don’t recall the hype over this, it was actually anticipated to be in the top three this year according to many predictions.  Well guess what?  FAIL

Fourth place: Hayate no Gotoku!! 2!!

Man oh man – myself and about 1000 other anime watchers loved the first season.  When we started to watch the second one with the lame plot and the rare reference to the actual manga storyline, I cried.  Yes, the jokes got lamer, the fourth-wall-breaking got excessive, and the artwork changed to a more amateur level.  The only good thing about this series second season that didn’t make it a bigger flop was the reference to Hina’s love towards Hayate, which they show… abysmally, but it’s still there.  Yessir, I watched the entire first season when it actually aired, and now I don’t even know how many episodes the second season has.  Fourth biggest flop of this year – if you’re already ripping out your hair from these very ideas, don’t read on.

Third place, and as you will see on many other anime blog sites: Haruhi Suzumiya: Endless Eight

I couldn’t sum up the series better than with this picture.  Now don’t feel too bad – the series had nothing to gain but everything to lose.  I mean, the first season was so epic that it even is nominated for best anime of the 21st century.  And when you try to air the second season, you get eight episodes of the same crap, same quotes, and the same things over and over again.  You get more and more frustrated with Kyon each time he doesn’t say anything at the end of each episode.  What the hell did the paper airplane have anything to do with homework?  I’m considering making a shirt saying I watched and survived the entire Endless Eight.  Any takers?  (I just noticed how the infiniti symbol is an 8 on it’s side… LOL)

Second-place for the biggest douche flop goes to: the fact that Hidamari Sketch still gets green-lights everywhere it goes.

“Now SPIRAL, don’t be mean… just because nobody watches means that…” GOOD ONE. It actually was going to look good because of its supposedly unique artwork.  When we heard of the plot, a few of us walked away.  When we saw the trailer, many of us began to sprint as fast as we could away from.  When we watched the first few episodes, we sailed away in our little boats.  *sailing away*  When we landed back, we were shocked to see the world in ruins as Hidamari Sketck gets its third season.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~  Let’s get back up on that boat again.

And the ultimate flop of 2009 goes to:

GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class

File:GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class volume 1.jpg

OMG it’s going to be so cute, moe, and everything that moe-fans wish for in an anime.  And the plot is going to be incredibly original, comical, and unique.  HAHAHAHA NO.  I won’t have to say anymore because this is my biggest flop of the year because of the lame designs, lame artwork, the cliche designs, and the extremely boring plot-line.  The only thing I really thankful for is the fact that it only aired 12 episodes.  And seriously, what is up with the picture anyway?  Does pink-hair-chan think she’s Wolverine? Is stoned-eye girl-on-the-right going to sniff that paint?  And why does that “girl” at the bottom right look like a guy?  Thank goodness this list is only five.

On the brighter side of things, tomorrow is the penultimate list of 2009: the top ten manga!  Look forward to that… sir.

13 Responses to “Top Five Flops of 2009”

1. 28 December 2009 at 10:40 pm

While I can sortof see why numbers 2 to 5 made the list, I really don’t agree with GA on number one.

“I won’t have to say anymore because this is my biggest flop of the year because of the lame designs, lame artwork, the cliche designs,”

what’s so bad about the designs? They’re simple and the backgrounds are drawn well. The art tht the characters draw each episode is also done with a lot of imagination.

“and the extremely boring plot-line.”

Why do you watch Slice of life series for their plotlines? It’s like watching a hollywood action movie for its philosophies.

“And seriously, what is up with the picture anyway? Does pink-hair-chan think she’s Wolverine? Is stoned-eye girl-on-the-right going to sniff that paint? And why does that “girl” at the bottom right look like a guy? Thank goodness this list is only five.”

You do know that that’s the cover for the manga, not the anime? Those are two very different things. I mean, did you even watch the series?

2. 28 December 2009 at 11:30 pm

This is a pretty unfair writeup of Hidamari Sketch. It’s good, clean fun, sort of a less dreary Aria. And slice-of-life shows don’t need plot… (GADC too)

3. 29 December 2009 at 1:02 am

I guess I’m one of the few people who liked Hayate season 2 as much, or even more so, than season 1. For me, the jokes in season 1 weren’t consistently funny; sometimes they were funny, sometimes they were lame. Season 2 focused more on character development/relationships while still having some humor, which I personally enjoyed more.

4. 29 December 2009 at 1:38 am

You’d almost figured that Pandora Hearts would get #1 based on the fan-reactions that I’ve been hearing :V

5. 5 kadian1364
    29 December 2009 at 2:29 am

Wait, how does Hidamari even rank on this year’s list when it didn’t even air this year? Also, I’m in the camp that believes a series has to have some hype for it to actually flop, and since no had any expectations of GA Design Class (or Shin Koihime Musou for that matter), I don’t think it can be one.

So #s 1, 2, and 5 move out and things like Valkyria Chronicles, Canaan, and Umineko move in (based on what I’ve heard).

6. 6 Poro
    29 December 2009 at 8:07 am

@zzeroparticle
    a bit controversial on pandora. it’s a definite flop if it doesn’t have another 2 seasons at least. Maybe three, but pandora might need it since it hasn’t gotten very far plot and storyline wise. The series it self was funny even with its stereotypical kickass tsundere that <3 food. But this needs to get a lot done next series.

7. 7 SPIRAL
    29 December 2009 at 9:26 am

@psgels
    I was referring to the entire concept as a whole, not just the manga

8. 8 SPIRAL
    29 December 2009 at 9:28 am

@schneider
    yeah, but you know the hype that built up to it..? … yeah.

@kadian1364
    hmm Canaan wasn’t that bad – yes the plot was dry but I found it personally to be fun, although it was a stand-still

9. 9 Azure
    29 December 2009 at 1:17 pm

I actually enjoyed GA but pretty much everything else was floppy.

10. 29 December 2009 at 1:55 pm

oh, haven’t watched any of these anime. Maybe I have an innate ‘flop sensor’ in my brain;)

11. 11 blindability
    29 December 2009 at 2:48 pm

I have to agree with Kadian on calling out Canaan.
    Even though you (Spiral) and many others would consider it “not bad”, I think weighing the anticipation it received before airing against the reactions post airing makes it a proper flop. It could have been SO much better than it was and that (at least for me) was the real let down: not that it was “passable” or “okay”, but that it could have been more and wasn’t.

12. 12 SPIRAL
    29 December 2009 at 7:40 pm

@blindability
    maybe… but I really enjoyed the show ;D

13. 13 blindability
    30 December 2009 at 4:44 am

@Spiral: I’m actually glad you did. If you’d joined us earlier, then you could’ve reviewed it! Probably would’ve done a better job than me…