Mar

Would Harry Potter been better as a movie series, or an anime?

If you do not know who or what Happy Potter is, go jump off a building.  Just kidding- Harry Potter is literally a “magical” series created by J.K. Rowling.  From the Philosopher’s Stone all the way to the Deathly Hallows, the ‘Boy-who-Lived’ will remain a classic for many years to come by all literary fans.

That’s the case for the books… the movies, on the other hand, are another story.  Apart from being completely disappoint with little action and several huge gaps in the original plot from the books, I’d say that the best thing about the movies was Emma Watson.  Now imagine the entire Happy Potter series as an anime.  Yes, the plot will be definetly be predicatlbe but wouldn’t the animation over the course of 24 per book be so much better than 2.5 hour movies?  And that’s about… what?  5-6 anime episodes.  Why not stretch out the plot so that we can enjoy the smaller details?  I don’t know about you, but this is so much of a better idea than having… say… two-part movies over the course of six months.

Now imagine the cast… the perfect case for an anime series based on Happy Potter (these would be my personal choices):

Harry Potter… Shimono Hiro

Ron Weasley…Miyato Kouki

Hermione Granger… Saori Hayami

Ginny Weasley… Aya Hirano

Albus Dumbledore… Suzuki Tatsuhisa

Voldemort… the guy who plays L

Bellatrix Lestrange… Nana Mizuki

etc.

So what do you guys think?  Anime series… or movies?   And for a side reference, Twilight made into an anime would fail.  Yes, it would.  By the way, there is some hype to be a Harry Potter anime sometime in 2012… maybe?

27 Responses to “Would Harry Potter been better as a movie series, or an anime?”

1. 1 Salamandra
    27 March 2010 at 11:07 pm

I’d say anime series, given how much the movies skipped out. For example: The audiobook of Order of the Phoenix (read by Stephen Fry) is about 30 hours long. The movie is 138 minutes.

Although they aren’t whole conversions of the books into films, I do think they’re fairly good. I’d prefer both.

2. 28 March 2010 at 12:09 am

I’ve been wanting a Harry Potter anime for a long time, but I can imagine the licensing cost being phenomenal, which is probably one reason it hasn’t been done yet. I personally love the movies because the stories themselves are so visual, so I prefer seeing it rather than reading it. But as you say, an anime series would be able to take its time instead of having to cram all the book material into 2.5 hours.

And that cast of seiyuu you have is good XD

3. 7 Leah-san
    28 March 2010 at 12:55 am

ANIME SERIES! Wow, that would be great, given from the fact that there are already so many Harry Potter Manga Fanarts out there ^^’
    But I don’t like the seiyuu cast. Saori Hayami? Who the hell is that?
    Suzuki Tatsuhisa? Isn’t Dumbledore like… an old man?
    And Nana Mizuki? Can you imagine Hinata or Utau as Bellatrix Lestrange? And I don’t think Ginny should be Aya Hirano, because she deserves a much shyer voice.

If you ask me, I would give Hermione the voice of Fumiko Orikasa and Ginny the voice of Maaya Sakamoto or Yuki Matsuoka or Mamiko Noto ^^

• 8 SPIRAL
      28 March 2010 at 8:59 am

she’s a young talent and I think she would fit Hermione’s role pretty well.

and Nana Mizuki? she’s got the best ‘psycho’ voice except some of the latest series don’t really convey that. if she uses the right tone, she’d be perfect

and I thought ginny was more of a confident person so I thought Aya Hirano would suit her perfectly… and for the second book where ginny is shy, I thought Aya could do her soft voice

Ginny = maaya or yuki wouldn’t be bad either.

• 9 Leah-san
        28 March 2010 at 8:42 pm

Well, okay.
        So which voice actors would you choose for Cho, Neville, Luna and Fred & George?
        I must excuse myself, I’m a bit of a seiyuu fanatic.

4. 10 blindability
    28 March 2010 at 1:19 am

I think it would be interesting to see Harry Potter as an anime series simply because you can control the look and age of characters much better than when you cast actors (Sirius Black and Remus Lupin are supposed to be handsome). I also like the idea that you can focus more on the character developments and details of the story itself than drawing out the drama for a Blockbuster movie.

@Yumeka: It probably would be really expensive to get the rights to turn it into an anime, but I don’t think the author would be beyond it. If I see Harry Potter SHAMPOO on the shelves, then an anime shouldn’t be too far behind, haha.

• 11 SPIRAL
      28 March 2010 at 9:01 am

… harry potter SHAMPOO?
      lollll
      ‘Have the scent of Snape’s Potion class in YOUR HAIR!’

‘Add a wiff of magic to your hair!’

‘Alohamora those locks in your hair!’

lol I can go on forever with this XD

5. 12 ED
    28 March 2010 at 2:00 am

I prefer Zero_no_Tsukaima, better that harry potter

6. 14 Humanity_Cat
    28 March 2010 at 9:52 am

Hmmm, Harry Potter anime? Would definitely be an interesting experience, to say the least. Hopefully it would not be chibi characters, as it would be even worse than the last few movies at keeping the tone very serious. You do have a very good point about the movies loosing a lot of details, so if they did make an anime, I hope they kind of stretch it out….It’d be cool if did one episode per chapter.
    Actually, scratch that, that would probably get very boring after a while, I expect, aha.

Anyways, should they actually make an anime in 2012, I will most certainly watch it….

• 15 Salamandra
      28 March 2010 at 11:06 am

I don’t think that one episode per chapter would be far off the sort of pacing that would be appropriate. That’d make it 198 episodes for the entire thing, not including Nineteen Years Later. Obviously couldn’t stick with that entirely though, some chapters have a lot of description that would be conveyed enormously quicker than the book did and some like the last chapter of Deathly Hallows would take more than an episode.

• 16 SPIRAL
        28 March 2010 at 5:49 pm

did you count the chapters…? lol, no, but imagine having just like a good 100 episodes of Harry Potter and divide up the chapters accordingly… like 2-3 chapters per episode

• 17 Salamandra
          28 March 2010 at 7:57 pm

Wikipedia shows the number of chapters for each book.

• 18 Humanity_Cat
          29 March 2010 at 1:08 am

Mmmm, that wouldn’t be bad, but I think if they did that, they should divid it according to how each event stops….I don’t know how to explain it, but, maybe to put it in terms, we wouldn’t want to have a few chapters of half of the first Triwizard tournament and part of the second one in one episode…that’d just be weird.

• 19 Salamandra
            29 March 2010 at 2:46 am

There wouldn’t be any danger of that, since each task in the Triwizard Tournament has about a 3 month gap and aren’t particularly close in the book. However I do see the more general point.

7. 29 March 2010 at 2:27 pm

Here are my ideas/thoughts:

-Harry voiced by Norio Wakamoto. Get it done.

-Harry Potter as a fanservice anime. I would laugh, but it would suck.

-Rie Kugimiya as Hermione or Ginny. She must play one or the other (I say Hermione because she’d have a bigger part.

-Professor McGonagall voiced by the person who voices The President from Detroit Metal City. Get it done.

-OVA hot springs episode special (it would happen, and it would SUCK)

-Dumbledore voice by Tracy Morgan. That’s right, a complete character speaking in English in a Japanese anime. A black Dumbledore would rule:

-I want more Zero no Tsukaima, which is probably what this anime would turn out kind of like (as far as the feel of it, obviously

8. 23 azure2526
    29 March 2010 at 4:35 pm

books like harry potter would be better if they remained as books I suppose. It helps to attract more people to read it but usually the original would have turned out better.
    Though harry potter as a anime would have caught my attention more than a movie, since it IS fantasy, I’d prefer to see it animated, but thats me.

Aya Hirano does suit Ginny but Nana Mizuki as Bellatrix is ….
    lol voldemort as the guy who plays L? It might suit Tom Riddle but I don’t know about voldemort…

• 24 SPIRAL
      29 March 2010 at 8:13 pm

hmm yeah Voldemort’s voice is supposed to be raspy and… well, ugly, right? hmm, well, we could just get any seiyuu to do that then… XD just kiddin

9. 25 Amber Lamps
    14 April 2010 at 9:48 am

Watch Negima. Nuff said.

10. 22 September 2014 at 2:24 am

Great items from you, man. I have take note your stuff previous to
    and you are simply extremely fantastic. I really like what you’ve bought right here, really
    like what you’re stating and the way through which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to
    stay it smart. I can’t wait to learn much more from you.
    This is really a tremendous site.

11. 20 October 2014 at 2:41 am

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve visited this website before but
    after going through some of the posts I realized
    it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m definitely pleased I stumbled upon it and I’ll be
    bookmarking it and checking back frequently!